Our dramas usually focus on the lives of women and the female lead plays the central character. The stories are usually about her journey and transitions. It comes as no surprise since women make up the largest segment of the audience. But to better understand the female lead and her transitions, we need to understand the man in her life- rather the male lead.
Here’s a look at what comprises the quintessential man in our dramas:
- He will promise her the world while he’s courting her but once she becomes his wife, he constantly reminds her that his mother is the most important woman in his life and if she were to ever (God Forbid) disobey her, he wouldn’t hesitate to leave her.
- If his wife argues with him and/ or has issues with his mother (who, by the way, treats her like a slave), she deserves a slap.
- If the slap(s) don’t make her shut up, he must divorce her by instantly pronouncing Talaaq three times in a single breath.
- If his mother (who abhors his wife) accuses her of being unfaithful, he readily throws her stuff in a bag and kicks her out in the middle of the night.
- If his marriage is going through turbulent times while his wife is expecting, it must mean that she was unfaithful and the child belongs to another man!
- If another woman expresses an interest in him, he gets easily swayed.
- When confronted about the other woman, he gives his wife an ultimatum- she can either remain married to him and keep his name (but will definitely have to leave the house) OR she can carry the label of a divorcee for the rest of her god-forsaken life.
- His wife is not allowed to step out of her house except with the consent of his mother.
- Its okay for him to flirt with his classmates, his secretary, his cousin, his neighbour but his wife cannot talk to any of her male cousins after getting married since that will reinstate his belief that she is guilty of having an affair.
- He expects his wife to wake up before he does so she can prepare his breakfast, have his clothes ready and see him off. However, if she calls him during the day, he has every right to get annoyed since how could she be stupid enough to interrupt his day?
- He keeps reminding his wife that she is lucky to have been married to someone like him!
How many more can you add to the list? I’d love to hear your take. P.S This article is a satirical take on the male lead and is not intended to offend any actor in particular.